Tuesday, September 25, 2007

We pause for a whiny brat moment.

I have a confession to make.

I desperately want to be liked.

I envy people who have lots and lots of friends... I still long to be a popular kid.
If I had people come by and hang on weekends around the house to keep us company, I think I would be so much happier. I think I carry around a lot of baggage from being at the bottom of the social food chain in high school... I mean, for crying out loud, I DID go to my senior prom on a blind date. It sucks being a geek.

But I married a social recluse, and although I try really hard to make and keep friendships, it seems like I'm never going to achieve my life's goal to have people to really go do things with. We used to have a couple we would go on vacation with occasionally, but when Doug died of cancer my husband just sort of gave up on finding anyone else to hang with. And his wife and I had nothing in common at all to try and keep a relationship going. She was nice, but she never wanted to do anything.

I have a "best" friend, who calls me often and enthusiastically on the phone with all her news and trials and tribulations, but when I go to visit her she ignores me for her local friends (she literally turns away from me and talks to them and doesn't let me get a word in edgewise.) I took my daughter down to visit her this summer and although she is a teacher, she seemed perpetually annoyed with my daughter, and got mad when I asked if we could fix some popcorn (around 8:30 one evening) for Gizmo and I because she and the "babies" (her two dogs, had a bedtime to keep. Geez, we only visit once a year. I mean she tells me about going out to dinner with her friends and going to the movies etc. but when I suggested we all go to dinner and a movie she curtly replied "I'm so not interested...." Or if I suggest we go visit this or that she looks at me in disdain "I am NOT a tourist" Yet, I say nothing. Although I did feign not feeling well so we could cut our trip a little bit short, she didn't really seem to mind and then made all nice. She could make a little bit of effort if she really cares about our friendship. But maybe that's why she's 38 and still whining that she can't find a man.... (she hasn't had a boyfriend since college.)

I wish I had another mom with kids I could call and say "let's go to six flags today!" Or, let's go to the mall! Or, come over and have lunch. But I guess we're all kinda caught up in the day to day of things and we have our own families to harrass and hang with... Even when I go to birthday parties and meet other mothers I kind of feel uncomfortable because I don't even think the same way they do. They talk about worrying about their kids being too worldly, or the teachers not giving enough homework, or how they don't like ChuckECheese because it's too loud inside.
I don't worry about Giz being too worldly - how can she be worldly taking the dog for a walk, going to pageants, going skiing and roller skating and to the pottery place or going grocery shopping.... and I don't want her to burn out on homework in kindergarten.... and I don't mind ChuckECheese or Monkey Joe's or Six Flags... I love to rollerskate and I love to ride rollercoasters and I can ski and I want to try other things too... Aren't there any other mom's out there like Me???

I'm sure it's overrated. But I haven't felt well this week and I'm wallowing in my own self pity. I'll get over it. Maybe. (Although one of the guys on my team did give me a cookie Monday - Macadamia/Cranberry - and for a little while I WAS truly cheered up :o)

Okay. I know I'm whining. But only a few people read my blog anyway, and they don't seem to be all up in the air about me being one of those social outkast battle-ax stagemothers.

I know they'll understand.

SNIFFLE.

8 comments:

dennis said...

Geez, that is a friend????

I say deep can the -ahem- and come on over to Ohio! We rock this kuntry!

MommasWorld said...

I am a Mom like you :-) You are not alone. I promise.

rennratt said...

Ditto here.

I live in Southern Belle Land, and I am a Yankee that loves punk, crunk, and acid rock - both in the secular and christian categories.

If you move to NC, I will hang out with you. We can be ignored together.

I don't like ChuckECheese (migraines are induced by walking through the doors), but I enjoy Bullwinkles, Borders Books/other bookstores, etc.

Would you be up for shopping in an ethnic grocery store, simply out of curiousity? Cuz I TOTALLY do that.

Pageant Resources said...

Renn, I would SO totally love to do the whole ethnic grocery store thing!!! I have been known to wander in some of the strangest places because you never know what kinds of fabulous stuff you'll run into, or what kinds of people you'll meet!

I even once got invited to a rave by some pink haired deejay chick who was managing the vintage store I wandered into!!! I would have gone, but alas, my husband would not have been so adventurous and no one else would have entertained the idea (I'm pretty sure I would have stuck out like a sore thumb though)

Pageant Resources said...

Dennis, my husband is from Ohio!
So I know first hand folks in Ohio rock LOL!

Mommasworld - what would I do without you - you always know how to say something to make a girl feel better (and more normal too!)

:o)

Pageant Resources said...

pss Oops I forgot to logout and use my other blogger id LOLOL

Anonymous said...

Hey! What am I to you? I know we don't live in the same state. Have you figured out who this is yet? :) Your only high school friend that drives up from a big city to go to a pool hall, in our old partying single days. Once a geek, always a geek. And hey didn't you watch the 60-minute show this past weekend? Being "popular" is overated! Yes, every teenager wants to be in the crowd. My daughter is a very shy but "popular" girl and it's too much stress on her. Kids fighting over her all the time and she hates the attention. But it's because she's pretty (this is the first time I REALLY admitted that - usually I say "Yes, I think she's striking but I'm a little prejudice 'cause she is my daughter"). And "mean girls" are really NOT the kind of friends you would want (for yourself or your children) to have.
And as an adult, I don't consider myself "popular", but I'm definitely "in the loop" and my husband is like yours. All my friends and neighbor knows we only attend social event that his tennis buddies give.

Anonymous said...

Uhhh, who is this ConnieLy chick? Who talks like that? But, I would be your friend, Pageant Mom! :)

Bad parent example #6,922

Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic
Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net a>