Saturday, October 06, 2007

You gotta work it girl!!

You know, In a lot of ways pageants have been really good for Gizmo.

In others, I admit, they have been bad.

Case in point:

Today, Gizmo was invited to a birthday party for a classmate at the local "Snip Its" kids hair salon. "Get your Glitz and Glamor On" was the title on the adorable invitation she received in the mail. However, I have to worry about Gizmo's participation at these parties sometimes... so I shall explain.

She got up this morning all excited, ready to see her friends and have fun at the PAR-TAY - as she says... And of course, outfit selection was a critical event to pass before attending - "I can't GO if I'm not STYLISH!!!" Then "Kaitlyn is ALL about fashion so I have to be fashionable!!!" In the end she selected her "Dad said it was okay!" T-shirt, denim skirt with sequin scarf belt, funky knee highs and sequin hair bands. She also had to have a funky hairdo, and wanted to wear her new sparkley sketchers to complete the look.

I don't mind her wanting to be stylish, really. I know that's probably not the most responsible parental attitude, but I don't like conflict and I choose to pick my battles where my judgement deems my effort really needs to go. But it kinda looks funny to the other parents when my child doesn't want to "play dress up" when well, she already IS dressed up walking in the door. Nonetheless, she had a great time - and it didn't bother the other kids, and probably not the other parents either, but I'm a little sensitive to what they might think so it's probably all just in my head. At this birthday party in particular, the whole point was to "Play Dress Up" and be "Glamorous" THERE. Then you get your hair done. Gizmo didn't want them to do her hair, because to her, it was already done. But she did let them curl the ends of her hair, put the makeup on, and do her nails.

At the end of the party the "big deal" is for each child to walk the red carpet (yes, they have a red carpet LOL) in their fancy outfit, hair, and makeup. Most of the kids just kinda walked out and stared at the floor with a "whatever" look on their face. Of course, Gizmo sashays out doing her twisty walk, total smile and attitude going - stage presence topped out - and models, well, like a professional. Oh and never mind that although she's not the oldest child there, she's the TALLEST and the THINNEST and looks like a model. Now don't get all in a wad over that statement, I'm not saying Gizmo was the "prettiest" and keep in mind not all models are "pretty" per se, they just have that presence about them...

Embarrassing.

Of course the other mothers are looking at me and one says, "MY she's PROFESSIONAL."

Um, I'm sorry Ma'am, I truly am, but compared to the rest of these kids She IS.

I didn't say that out loud, of course. I just sort of smiled sheepishly and focused my attention on the fact that the next kid was coming up.

I know it sounds weird, but I was so proud (she has such a pretty bright smile and she DID work it down that runway...) but embarrassed at the same time (she just didn't act "normal".) I mean is it so bad she enjoyed it in her own way? Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of it to myself because I am sensitive to the whole is-it-or-isn't-it-politically-correct to put your kids in pageants issue.

But in the end, all I know is a bunch of little girls had fun today, one of which had to do it her own way.

:o)

One thing I did notice, is that this joint had TVs to distract the kids while they were getting their hair cut. No wonder we are raising a generation of kids who have to be entertained all the time!!

5 comments:

MdG said...

That is the most awesome story! I love how she worked the "runway", and whatever to those other moms.
I think that children's pageants just have a bad name because of "She Who Shall Not Be Mentioned". You know who. But I think that as long as the child is enjoying it, and the parent is enjoying it, then it's like playing soccer, a family event.

As for the constant TV, almost everyone I know keeps their portable DVD players in their car, and on, all the time. The rule in our car is that there will be no DVD player unless the car trip will be more than 2 hours. I'm sorry, but you do not need to watch tv in the 3 minutes it takes me to drive from the house to the store. Freaking takes me longer to set the thing up!
Sorry, long.

rennratt said...

Nooze has never been in a pageant, and is being raised by a lazy tomboy and her clueless, nerd husband.

However, Nooze has been "all girl, all fashion" from day one. She prefers to dress herself, and has done so for quite some time.

When she wears something that I consider 'embarrassing', I have an out. I simply smile (usually while clenching my jaw) and say "Nooze has decided to express her creative side today, and has put together this ensemble herself!"

You're right; some things are just not argue worthy. You are also not alone in the embarrassment, just so you know.

MommasWorld said...

Snow White went to a party like that and it was filmed for TV. She liked being on the stage and even put on a little dress up outfit but the H/M. She was admit about them not touching her. After trying politely to say �No thank you� several times she finally erupted with �Get away from me with that ugly pink eye shadow and your brush! You don�t have a clue what you are doing!� She also told the camera crew to just �BACK OFF! I am going to the bathroom and you cannot follow me in there!� When the show aired I was really happy to see they did not include those �scenes� in the show.

She did have fun with her friends and was so happy to be at her friend�s birthday.

I think it was fine that you were so proud of how she did on stage. It is no different than how any other parent would have felt. If they were out at the park and only one child could do a back flip don�t you think the Proud Momma would say �She is the best in her gymnastics class. Been in it since she was 2 yrs old.�

Diva's Thoughts said...

You girl has a really bright future. She is already on her way. You really ought to be proud. SHe could really have a great career in acting, modeling or pagents. You never know.

dennis said...

let's face it. the red carpet is what gizmo does and any parent that holds a grudge at a birthday party is a complete ass!

still it sounds like gizmo had fun!!

Bad parent example #6,922

Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic
Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net a>