Sunday, October 15, 2006

Is profundity a word???

I have a friend of over 20 years who has enough of a track record in bad relationships to write several books over on... She called me today to share her final heartbreak over a guy she's been "seeing" off and on over several months that he had met some girl and within a month moved in with this "some girl." Now, never mind she hasn't "been" with this guy since May. I thought he was a bad idea all along. Yes, they had mutual friends. Yes, they had sex. Yes, she'd been over to his house. But all along I thought he was just using her. She told me about how he'd get her drinks at parties, and kissed her in front of other people. I heard all about the wonderful conversations they would have after sex and how he seemed to be such a thoughtful loving guy who was just trying to get his bearings in life. She blamed his inability to come to her house or take her on a date on his weird job hours. Or the fact that "dating" is such a thing of the past... since I protested he couldn't be the real thing since he never took her out on a date. Am I too old fashioned to think that the sign a guy is interested is when he treats you like a "real girlfriend"? To me if a guy hasn't picked you up in HIS car and taken you out in public, introduced you to at least his friends or possibly his mother within two months, fed you, entertained you and vice versa, complimented how beautiful you are after a bad haircut, and been seen in public as a true couple. You need to move on.

I think my friend was a victim of this guy's selfishness and insecurities. She says "oh he's young" (26ish) but I think you are at your level of possible maximum maturity by then.

I've held my tongue for a long time but I just finally told her this was her "sign." Get over it. Move on. Don't waste your valuable precious mental time on this guy. Then I told her my favorite story (which I tell badly at that - so if you've got the proper joke please send it my way)

There was a little boy who was an eternal optimist - annoying everyone from his parents to his teachers. He always saw the bright side no matter what. So one day a manure truck accidentally dumped a load in their front yard. Well, his parents came out to find their son head first digging in the pile! They asked him what on earth....??? The little boy replied "With all this shit there's got to be a pony in here SOMEWHERE!!!"

Is that a profound little concept or what?

No comments:

Bad parent example #6,922

Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic
Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net a>