Tuesday, October 24, 2006

My cat died yesterday

My cat died yesterday. I loved that cat - even if she wasn't the most affectionate animal, I had her for almost 18 years. I adopted her from the humane society, so she was probably around 19; I'm not sure how long cats live on average, but I think she was pretty old.

She was family. And now she's laid to rest next to her best friend, our old dog who died two years ago. Now, dogs and cats aren't supposed to get along, but they were the best of buddies and I'll never forget how kitty grieved when he died. She just wailed and wailed and didn't want anyone to be near her for a long time. They were together 14 years. She really was never the same after he died.

I'll never forget when we got the puppy. She would walk by and smack him up beside the head just out of spite - even when he was three times her size, he would always defer to her. She just had to show him who was boss. At night they would curl up together to sleep and they would lay in the sunshine on the front porch together. Always together.

I miss them both.

They say animals don't have feelings or go to heaven. I disagree.

1 comment:

MommasWorld said...

I am truly sorry for your loss. We have a cat and my family would be devistated if something happened to her. Hearing about your cat being 18/19 yrs old put a smile on my face. I do hope we have our cat for as long as yours was with you. See, even after she/he is gone..still making people smile :-) ***Hugs***

Bad parent example #6,922

Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic
Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net a>