Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Whaddaya say?

When I went to pick up Gizmo from Grandma's after work today she announced:

"Mrs. E... told me to SHUT UP today"

Now, Mrs. E is the most kindly, patient, loving, grandmotherly K4 teacher you could ever imagine to teach preschool.

I found this to be COMPLETELY out of character.

Now, knowing Gizmo as well as I do, I imagine Mrs. E didn't start out with that comment... so here is my surmised "re-enactment":

Mrs. E : "Gizmo, please stop talking - it's not your turn yet"

Gizmo : "Mrs. E...."

Mrs. E : "Please Gizmo, you must wait and give others a chance to participate"

Gizmo : "I have my stuffed up animal CAT my grandma gave me with me today - wanna see?"

Mrs. E : "Gizmo, it will be your turn to share soon..."

Gizmo :
"WHATEVER. Now as I was saying... blah blah blah, Anna wants to see...blah blah blah.... and...blah blah blah....and..... my mommy said....and.... I had my HAND up.... and we could name the new fishy.... I got a smores maker this weekend....blah blah...and....Carly broke her arm... and......"

Mrs. E : Now has look of frustration and disdain

"Please Gizmo! We MUST BE QUIET!!!! "

Gizmo : "okay Mrs. E" "Hey! Ms. N" (Classroom teacher's assistant) "when is snack time?"

"I really like the new goldfish, and if you can't HEAR me I can SPEAK LOUDER.... as a matter of fact we can sing to the fish, I know a really good song I learned this weekend..... do you know 'Tomorrow' I learned it when I went to see 'Annie' and she didn't have a fish or ANYTHING... we are so lucky aren't we ...... can I go see... blah blah blah ...." etc & so on

Mrs. N : "Gizmo, SHHHHUSH!!!!"

Entire class : Heads tilted. Blank stares. 'Hey! We could sing to the fish...'

Mrs E. : 'Who gave her SUGAR cereal this morning????'

Gizmo, unfazed

"What?" "I can't hear you Mrs. N!!!"

"Mrs. E... What DID she SAY????" "

"I can't hear her, but it sounds like she wants EVERYONE to be quiet!!!!"

"I can tell them to shhhh if you want me too......"

moment of silence

"Wow, everyone got quiet.... don't we all play the quiet game good? Don't we? Don't we Mrs E.?"

Mrs. E, reaching point of frustration and exasperation:

"Gizmo - please - just please - SHUT UP!!! "


.....


Well...... All's well, ends well...

(at least I'm assuming so, since there was no NOTE from poor Mrs. E !!!)

Needless to say, we're going to have to work on this ;o) And possibly, no more Fruit Loops for YOU young lady.....

1 comment:

dennis said...

I think she might have possibly been told in a slight curt (and probably loving) manner to hush...

Bad parent example #6,922

Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic
Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net a>