Wednesday, December 20, 2006

C'mon get Happy :o)

Point. Counter Point.

Upon reading another blog on my way through my regular stops through cyberspace...a popular blogger, www.suburbanturmoil.blogger.com, wrote a response to a reader who suggested that she needed to write about more things that made her happy.

That apparently did not set well with said blogger.

I will admit that her biting wit and snarky attitude about pageants instigated my start into blogland. She has a bit of "I'm so over everything" in her blogs (although I don't think she's really that way at all, her blog is more of a vent than anything.) And poor thing, she's got a sick toddler AND she's pregnant. So you'd think I'd be a bit on her side or really nasty about the fact that she basically let the commentator that suggested she should "get happy" have the third degree. I am neither.

What bothers me is the fact that so many other people are apparently "so over" things and have more appreciation for the snarky than the sparkly (that phrase sucked but it's the best I can do for now.) In other words the consensus of said blogger's reading public is the same as what I tell my husband when I have a raging case of PMS:

"Don't ruin a good bad mood"

On the other hand, negativity breeds more negativity. The news tells us life sucks, there's never really anything good going on in the world. The heartbreaking is more interesting than the heartwarming. And that's sad. I think anyone who doesn't try to see the good in life needs, well, a little re-setting of perspective. Nothing pernicious, but life changing enough to see what's really small stuff and what's really important.

February 13, 1999 was my date. The most horrible day I've ever had.

....to be continued.

3 comments:

dennis said...

I can see your point. Happier posts and topics would be nicer.

However while we truly wish to attract more readers aaaaaand become popular internet fixtures and land that sweeeeeet book/movie/Oprah moment, we should keep in mind that most authors started with their own needs and that we found them...

Ok, soapbox is put away.

MommasWorld said...

Ok it was me as the HAPPY commenter. I sort of enjoy SubTurm's blogs but after a few days of hearing everyone in this state and a few other countries complain about what they cannot fix up for the holidays as far as lights and keeping up with the Jones down the lane. During a lunch I went to her blog hopping for something to make me laugh or Happy thoughts but found the post about lights and keeping up with the Jones. After that I thought about all I have read on her blog from last Christmas to this Christmas and I thought why is she so unhappy? Not my mission in life to make her happy but I thought to ask her to post something happy like a list of her favorite things. She basically said Bite Me, my life is real turmoil not just a sign on the door. I feel bad for her that she has so many ills in life so I keep saying a little prayer for her and her family.

After reading a few posts to her Suburban HAPPY I see people took my comment as derogatory so I should have worded it better or edited so it would be more presentable. Most people who commented afterwards were feeling very sorry for her having such a comment when she had to take care of her sick toddler, house hold and with a still broken foot (from Halloween). None of which I knew when I commented.

I thought having her make a list of her favorite things humorous or real would make her feel better. I made a list of my favorite things in our Family Christmas letter as part of our "This is what we did this year" portion. I have to admit when I looked at her blog after my comment the first 4-5 pictures were ok but showed she was making an effort to maybe smile then she took them down and replaced it with the Naughty kids. Ok I did laugh at that photo but still feel sorry for her.

Pageant Mom said...

I agree with you guys!! Mommasworld, I had no idea it was you :o) I went back and looked for you post (it took me a bit!) and I don't think you were derogatory at all.

I think you can be snarky, savvy, and still be positive!!! (of course, I've been told I'm not quite like the other kids LOL)

And it's making a nice segway for some things I have needed to get off my chest for awhile!!

...more to come :o)

Bad parent example #6,922

Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic
Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net a>