Monday, March 10, 2008

I had a bad day.

I discovered today, that somehow I missed factoring in an extra $40,000 while closing the accounting for a project I am working on that the project manager before me had spent launching the project. Talk about feeling sick.

Okay, so I'm only 68% over budget now.

We DID put the fact that I am a first time project manager in as a risk LOL

In my defense:
- I'm not an experienced project manager
- The start up of the project was a disaster under the previous pm
- They gave it to me because they thought I could save it all the while asking me if I thought I could do it
- I was expected to get it launched under a new project methodology
- And the rules of the methodology and accounting changed weekly during the life of the project (oh and we got trained on the tools about halfway through the final development phase.)

Talk about your proverbial build the plane while you are flying scenario.

Then this afternoon,I accidentally punched a hole in the bottom of a large sweet tea (which was FULL) in my car and pretty much flooded the car during my feeble attempt to extricate the flooding container from the cup holder quickly. The liquid filled up BOTH cup holders, and I soaked myself in the most embarrassing way as the cup traversed across my lap so I could dump the remaining fluids out of my door (which ended up going into the door storage area and NOT out of the car.

SIGH

All the while spewing a diatribe of vitriol from my lips unfit for even impolite company under my breath the entire time....

So, figuring the day was a bust, I just marched into the big boss's office in my ever so subtle not terribly agitated way (oh who am I kidding I'm a walking disaster half the time...) and laid the whole budgetary mess out. Put the ol' head on the guillotine and said "go ahead....."

Well, thankfully I didn't get fired. He basically smiled and figuratively patted me on the head and said, "this one's a learning experience, just don't do it again."

WHEW. Now the pressure is REALLY on though.

I'm going to start budgeting for a project psychiatrist to be on staff for any other project I ever lead again. Kind of like those golfers who use a sports psychiatrist...

And yes, I DID whine about it the rest of the day.

*****************************

Oh and a shout out to Firstborn - he made the Golf Team AND Jr National Honor Society all in the same week!!

*****************************

Continuing the pageant saga (see previous posts for events leading up):

After we got finished with dinner,we went to the ballroom to practice.

Giz got amnesia - I cannot figure for the LIFE of me how she can practice at home, then the first night she gets to the hotel, it's like she has NO clue what to do at all. I mean she did EVERYTHING but what she was supposed too. Not even remotely close.

Drives me nuts, but then the next day after a bad practice, she'll do great onstage.

I just don't get it.

Got any help for us Dr. Phil??

Like I said, I'm sure there's a shrink somewhere who has a folder with my name written ALLLLLL over it.

3 comments:

MommasWorld said...

Don't you just LOVE answering all the questions that should have been put to the first Project Manager if he/she were still around. How the heck would I know why the last project manager was building floor 3 when the first two floors were not yet built. There must have been a reason but it was not my idea...I came on board two years after the 3rd floor was complete ;-)

Bad tea for making you all wet.

There were weeks and weeks of Snow White performing flawlessly, at home, with her coach and then on stage during practice. Then the pageant would start and she acted like someone stole her brain. But she made it work. "Mommy, the judges don't know my routine so it doesn't matter if I do it perfect or not on stage." She is right ya know.

Lahdeedah said...

HA.

I feel for you.

I just turned in a crap paper for my last class... the though of my low low grade makes me cry...

been that kind of month!

saying that, i'm not insinuating your stress is easier, you're stress is not, it's more, and I would have probably handled it the same way you did... aaahhhhh.

Pageant Mom said...

Mommasworld

Well, the other pm kind of disappeared after they moved her off the project....

We actually/finally had a pretty decent practice tonight, I may be seeing a glimmer of hope LOL.

LahDeeDah

Thanks for the empathy. I too feel your pain! I admire anyone who goes back to school as an adult, I don't think I could deal with it!! Good Luck on your paper :o)

Bad parent example #6,922

Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic
Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net a>