Sunday, February 18, 2007

Saved by the Bag (Boy)

I went to the grocery store today - um, yesterday when I actually post this.... which is not anything particularly interesting except for the fact I finally got dinged playing...

"enough money for groceries roulette"

Here's how the game goes. You only take enough money for groceries and your keys into the store so you can travel light. You do not take a credit card for fear you will spend too much and this will keep you in check. Oh and no cell phone so you don't end up in conversations with dramatic friends that might be too interesting to bloggers who eavesdrop and will use your conversations for future writings.

Yes. I'm THAT good (uh, normally.)

I should so totally play The Price Is Right.

I went in today strictly observing the rules. Had $140 in my pocket. Period. No purse, no cell, no credit card. No cheating!!

I figured I didn't have to watch it too close since normally I play with only $100.

Got up to the cashier... ring... ring... ring... It's like coming up to $170!!! OH NO! oh okay, give bonus card number (whew)... that's one of those discount card things where they can track your movements if the CIA needs to follow you for any reason. And it comes dooowwwnnnn toooooo.....

$140 aaaaand...

seventy six cents!!!

As I sheepishly smiled to the clerk that I would have to go to the car to get the remaining amount, the bagboy began to laugh at me and handed the clerk the final seventy six cents.

I thanked him profusely, and asked if he would take my groceries to the car then I would settle the debt. I was almost too embarrassed to look him in the eye as I handed him the change.

The boy deserves a medal of honor in my book.

2 comments:

Creative-Type Dad said...

That was nice of him. In our "normal" market those kids wouldn't do anything like that unless you gave them a cigarette, or crack.

dennis said...

You have kids that actually, still bag groceries?????

I a so moving out of this State!

at our stores most of the check-out lanes are the "you scan, you bag" variety!

Bad parent example #6,922

Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic
Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net a>